Strategic Communications Consultant
Emirates Nature is a UAE environmental non-governmental organization, established under the patronage of HH Sheikh Hamdan bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Ruler’s representative in the Western Region and Chairman of Environmental Agency – Abu Dhabi (EAD).
We work in association with WWF (hereafter EN-WWF), one of the world’s largest and most respected independent conservation organizations. EN-WWF has been active in the UAE since 2001 and has successfully initiated and implemented several conservation and education projects and initiatives in the region.
EN-WWF works federally and in the region with offices in Abu Dhabi, Dubai and Fujairah and is governed by a local board of directors.
It is our organizational objective to ensure a high performing workforce within our offices with highly efficient, skilled members all of whom will be unilaterally focused on supporting and delivering conservation activities within the UAE and our stakeholders.
The organization is functional by a Ministerial Decree as a ‘society’ institutionalized by the Ministry of Community Development, a federal governmental entity that resides within the UAE. In as such, this organization’s operational laws and workings coincides with that as a governmental institution that falls within any Abu Dhabi Government’s entities.
Context of the Role
The UAE has been confirmed as the host of COP28 at Expo City Dubai from 30 November – 12 December, 2023. COP meets once a year and attracts thousands of multi-stakeholder groups to take action and limit global warming to 1.5 degrees C. COP28 is set to elevate the UAE to one of the most relevant global players in climate action, and the nation sees it as an opportunity to promote its own political and diplomatic leadership and policy priorities.
The conference has already brought climate and nature to the forefront of conversations in the UAE, sparking conversations, innovation and action amongst the private sector, civil society, schools and academia and amongst the youth in the UAE. Furthermore, President His Highness Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan has announced that 2023 will be the “Year of Sustainability”.
There is tremendous interest and appetite to act for nature in the UAE right now. We believe there is an opportunity for the region to adopt a larger role in global climate action and that this conference can be that tipping point for greater advocacy, investment and commitments to reverse biodiversity loss and secure great climate action.
As the COP28 Strategic Communications Consultant, you will lead on developing in liaison with key team members Emirates Nature’s communications strategic objectives for COP28; including overarching communications strategy linking global to local, proactive and reactive messaging, communications risks management and mitigation workflow, tactical communication strategy linked with specific ENWWF desirables outcomes to the run up to COP28.
Major duties and Key Responsibilities
Major duties and responsibilities :
Strategy: Develop a communications strategy for COP28 in consultation with ENWWF and the WWF core and international team, that strengthens the work of the organization locally in the UAE, promotes its brand and helps achieve its conservation goals domestically, bridges global messaging to the local context, and adheres to brand positioning.
Crisis communication/Risk Mitigation and Reputation Management Scenarios: Develop crisis communications plan, risk mitigation, reputation management scenarios and associated assets in coordination with WWF international team, local teams and stakeholder teams and ensuring spokespeople on the ground are well-versed on topics.
Content: Ensure the development of the core content / narrative (messaging, stories,facts, images, policy positions etc.) needed to deliver the agreed communications plan.
Internal communication: Develop and coordinate the implementation of a strategy for internal communications to inform, inspire and motivate Emirates Nature-WWF team and WWF International team to work from local to global to achieve the desired outcomes.
External communication: Provide strategic direction and core content and messaging guidance for external communications that helps secure conservation wins, strengthen Emirates Nature-WWF’s brand and the profile of the Leadership, and provide support for fundraising initiatives.
Profile: Promote the Emirates Nature-WWF Leadership team as local / global thought leaders and enhance public profile and global influence on strategic issues.
Media: develop overarching plan to work with local and international media teams to establish a positive profile of the work with influential journalists and respond to media inquiries. Ensure spokespeople are prepared to deliver key messages and respond in accordance with Emirates Nature-WWF stated policy on controversial topics. Working with the “owners” of social media channels, provide guidance and core content for social media posts related to the COP28 plan.
Reporting: set up communication progress reporting process against the communicationstrategy objectives of the strategy.
- Has a solid content understanding of climate and sustainability.
- Has background or focus in international relations, global/ regional geo-political context & frameworks.
- Has the ability to think within context as well as think ahead proactively to mitigate possible outcomes and scenarios when building a communications strategy.
- Enjoys solving complex problems in developing opportunities, ideas, and solutions.
- Communicates arguments and perspectives clearly and convincingly, verbally and in writing.
- Values delivering for, and collaborating with, colleagues, funders, and partners.
- Has high integrity, a high bar for quality and rigor, hands-on attitude, and proactivity.
- University-level qualifications in a relevant subject and at least ten years’ strategic communications obtained in an international, national or high-profile organization where they were responsible for developing and implementing communication strategies and work plans internally as well as developing external campaigns and messaging.
Emirates Nature-WWF Focus: Acts as a member of Emirates Nature-WWF, placing higher priority on Emirates Nature-WWF goals than own goals and anticipating the effects of own area’s actions on others to ensure holistic Emirates Nature-WWF outcomes.
External Orientation: Looks outwards ensuring WWF stays relevant, continues to anticipate and adapt to external environmental and global trends.
Delivering Quality Outcomes: Establishes stretch goals, plans, using best judgment and takes responsibility for planning to and delivering on outcomes.
Building Working Relationships: Builds collaborative relationships through the understanding and development of other’s and own ideas.
Communicating Effectively: Uses appropriate means of communication to convey messages, seeks input from others and ensures understanding.
Leading Teams: Develops direction and shared purpose, builds a team through coaching to ensure the accomplishment of goals and high level team performance.
Leading Change: Encourages and seeks out innovative solutions and brings people on a journey constructively and empathetically.
Managing Resources: Makes the right judgments based on financial and resource availability.
Establishing Strategic Direction: Generates options to achieve long-range goals, selects the best strategies for success and delivers on strategic goals.
Building Organizational Capability: Diagnoses individual and team capability and development needs and champions talent management.
|Together We’re Stronger||
- Demonstrated experience of working in an international setting is essential, as is success in communicating complex issues in a persuasive way to a wide variety of audiences at all levels using diverse channels (TV, print, radio, web, etc.).
- Experience with communications around international policy institutions and fora is preferable, as is experience working for a non-profit organization.
- Proven track record in successful international communications strategies and activities undertaken in a multi-cultural setting, coupled with the ability to anticipate and capitalize on opportunities and achieve high profile results.
- Demonstrable experience and success in working closely with partners, negotiating joint approaches and messages around controversial topics is essential.
- Experience leading and participating in multi-disciplinary teams and building consensus, optimism and confidence in the face of challenges and pressure while charting new territory for the organization is a must.
- Familiarity with a wide range of communication tools and approaches, their potential impact and their suitability for an organization like WWF, is also required.
- Long-term planning and analytical skills, as well as demonstrated ability to multi-task and work effectively to tight deadlines without compromising quality, are necessary.
- Strong interpersonal skills are essential, as are skills in partnership development and the ability to develop relationships with a wide range of audiences.
- Proficiency in Protocol & Media Training in various communications settings including, but not limited to, Interview (Live and print & radio, print, TV), Q&A rounds, fireside chat, panel discussions.
Internal - Works with Multiple teams
External - Works with External stakeholders
Emirates Nature-WWF is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity in the workplace and offer a flexible and diverse place of employment.
Emirates Nature-WWF staff participate wholeheartedly in general activities and events that require the full support and participation of all staff members, whether the focus of any particular event or activity has any bearing on the job description and assigned project objectives and activities.
How to apply
Please send your application consisting of a cover letter explaining why you are the right candidate to work with EN-WWF and your CV with the subject ‘Application for Strategic Communications Consultant’ to the attention of Ms Magdalena Tayoun on [email protected] before 30th April 2023.
Emirates Nature reserves the right to appoint a candidate prior this date.